Now a days being able to connect to the internet is no longer a luxury, it's a necessity. Part of that is the capabilties of your network and WiFi infrastructure. In this weeks blog we'll go over the things that need to be considered when designing and planning a WiFi network aboard your vessel. What type of equipment will I need? Should I go Cisco or should I go with Ruckus. Well why not both?
Here are some items of cosideration in designing an efficient and reliable network. Let's start with what type of equipment you'll need. Now both Cisco and Ruckus make great products and are always on the bleeding edge in developing the network infrastures of the future. So which company has the better product. The check list is as follows.
1. Routers: Routers are the gateways to your network and the internet.
Cisco routers and routing products can transform your yacht network and deliver high security and reliable service.
Cisco Routers (ISR) are designed to meet the application demands of today’s connected smart yacht. They deliver virtualized applications and highly secure collaboration through the widest array of WAN connectivity at high performance that offers concurrent services at up to 75 Mbps.
- 2 integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet ports
- 4 enhanced high-speed WAN interface card slots
- 2 onboard digital signal processor (DSP) slots
- 1 onboard Internal Service Module for application services
- Fully integrated power distribution to modules supporting 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE) and Cisco Enhanced PoE
2. Switches: Switches help your network devices communicate with each other within your network infrasture.
Cisco switches (network switches) deliver performance and security. Cisco switches are scalable and cost-efficient and meet the need for any size vessel.
- Provide high service availability
- Offer flexible and differentiated services
- Manage and troubleshoot services remotely
- Improve security of network services to protect against malicious users
Cisco has become the worldwide leader in networking - transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Thousands of consumers worldwide are building yacht networks to support telecommuting, security, entertainment, learning, and even small business activities. Cisco is the name to trust for reliable internet connectivity and security for today's connected yacht.
3. Access Points: In computer networking, a wireless access point (WAP) is a networking hardware device that allows wireless devices to connect to a wired network using Wi-Fi, or related standards.
In the world of wireless LANs (WLANs), power and simplicity are like oil and water — they’ve just never mixed — until now.
The Ruckus WLAN systems brings power and simplicity together for large-scale indoor and oudoor deployments — along with all the requisite capabilities demanded:
- Seamless interoperability
- Advanced Wi-Fi security
- Massive scalability
- Best-in-class performance
- Robust WLAN management
4. Controllers: A wireless LAN controller is used in combination with the Lightweight Access Point Protocol (LWAPP) to manage light-weight access points in large quantities by the network administrator or network operations center.
The Ruckus Smart/OS software and applications is just that: smart. It delivers a bunch of wireless LAN features not found in any other centrally-managed system. Capabilities like:
- Adaptive wireless meshing
- Sophisticated user access controls
- Automatic traffic redirection
- Integrated Wi-Fi client performance tools
- Elegant and simple guest networking functions
- Rogue AP detection and advanced Wi-Fi security features
- Flexible WLAN groups
- Extensive authentication support
- Robust network management
Ruckus Wireless is a global Wi-Fi technology pioneer focused on building the next generation of Smart Wireless LAN systems. Named a Technology Pioneer by the World Economic Forum, Ruckus Wireless is credited with developing the first Smart Wi-Fi products and technology that extend the range of Wi-Fi signals and automatically adapt to environmental changes.
Contact Great Circle Systems today. and speak with one of our Network Specialist to design your network.